Shall We Segregate Atheists?

“Did you know that there are people in this country who want to end Jim Crow laws, let black children go to white schools, and make buses let blacks and whites sit wherever they want?

But did you know that 72% of Americans are Caucasians? Since we all know that 72 out of every 100 of us are Caucasians, who have white skin, we at Keiffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don’t tell the other 28% to sit down and shut up. I guess I just offended 28% of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that’s tough, this is America folks, it’s called free speech. None of us at Keiffe & Sons Ford is afraid to speak out. Keiffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don’t see you today, by the grace of God, we’ll be here tomorrow.”

That’s not the actual quote. If it were, I don’t think that Keiffe & Sons Ford would still be operational unless we are still in the 1960s. The actual quote from their advertisement is:

“Did you know that there are people in this country who want prayer out of schools, “Under God” out of the Pledge, and “In God We Trust” to be taken off our money?

But did you know that 86% of Americans say they believe in God? Since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God, we at Keiffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don’t tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up. I guess I just offended 14% of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that’s tough, this is America folks, it’s called free speech. None of us at Keiffe & Sons Ford is afraid to speak out. Keiffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don’t see you today, by the grace of God, we’ll be here tomorrow.”

And God damn it, he has the freedom of speech to say that, but God damn it, if he were saying that about any other minority, he would lose business. God damn it, this is probably going to increase his business.

Update: Simon, over at Bloggasm has an idea for people who live in the area to protest in a rather unique way. Go over and see it!

You can also send Ford a polite e-mail here.

15 responses to this post.

  1. That fucking asshole needs to be removed from the gene pool. Painfully.

  2. Thus another notch in the paper marked “reasons to move out of the country and disassociate yourself with America.” Earth flags, anyone?

  3. i can has earth flag plz?

    kthnx

  4. Posted by vitaminbook on May 26, 2008 at 8:32 pm

    That fucking asshole needs to be removed from the gene pool. Painfully.

    It’s ironic that your username is ‘Evolved Rationalist’.

  5. Posted by Ray on May 26, 2008 at 9:20 pm

    Great rewording to make the point. I hope this gets the publicity it deserves and that Ford loses 18% of their market should they choose to do nothing about it.

  6. Posted by Karen Peralta on May 26, 2008 at 10:03 pm

    “God damn it, this is probably going to increase his business.”

    I thought exactly the same thing. :/ It was aired in such a conservative town that most who heard it probably agreed.
    But now that more people are learning about this ad and sending in complaints, maybe something will be done.

  7. I don’t know, I mean there are a lot of reasonable theists out there. Would this message appeal to anyone except fundamentalists and Christian extremists? Los Angeles (near this car dealership) is home to a pretty diverse population. Maybe these guys would fair better if they were located in the American Midwest or the Bible Belt.

    Regardless, congratulations for speaking your mind, Keiffe & Sons Ford. It’s really not worth it to drive out to Mojave, CA just to talk to you, though.

  8. Ahh! Voltaire, Voltaire… You were truly a villain to so thoroughly convince me that I must defend the right for such drivel as this to be spoken!

  9. Oooh, look at how big and brave they are for picking on a minority group! Yeah, it takes some real guts to stand up and say something that most people will agree with!

  10. Wow. Sometimes supporting free speech makes me want to bash my head against the wall in frustration at how people misuse it.

  11. I sent a nasty email via the ‘Contact Us’ button on their website. I know they won’t care, but if they get slammed with tons of email, it should at least annoy them. ::grin::

  12. You might make a bigger impact by emailing Ford directly. That’ll light the fire under their ass, I’m sure. Going to write them right now, and let them know that if they think this is OK I will NEVER buy a Ford.

    -R

  13. As I said on Bloggasm, you can also lead them on by email and then pretend that you did research, found this ad, and are no longer interested. Just click the “New Vehicles” link, choose one of the more expensive vehicles, and then click on “Get an Internet Price”. The rest is just a matter of pretending to negotiate before the big reveal. I think this will speak to them more than just a nasty email.

  14. Latest info seems to suggest these guys are back pedling faster than Gordon Brown on taxation (Sorry UK centric joke, best i could come up with at short notice)this link (http://wayofthewoo.blogspot.com/2008/05/for-what-its-worth-kieffe-sons-website.html)(by the way is there anyway of posting links into these comments, i am an unashamed newbie poster and need some educating) Says that the owners failed to vet the add before it was released. I always get the same feeling when someone in buisness comes out with a lame excuse like this either they are
    a) lieing
    b) incompetant
    either should mean that they should not be in the job they are currently doing.

  15. [...] 29, 2008 Ford replied to the nice little e-mail I sent them comparing the Keiffe & Sons advertisement to racism. Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding [...]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: